Teeth Cleanings Birmingham Alabama
Everyone knows that keeping your teeth clean through regular brushing and flossing is important to maintaining good oral healthcare. But, our patients are often confused about why it is important to have teeth cleanings Birmingham Alabama two times a year. We hear patients say "I brush and floss so I know my teeth are in good shape." But, often during regular teeth cleanings Birmingham Alabama, our team is able to detect cavities and areas that might need special attention due to neglect from regular brushing.
So what happens during teeth cleanings? Below we have listed the common steps taken in any teeth cleaning, helping to maintain and/or restore your healthy gums and smile.
- Background check: To start, our trained hygiene team will do a routine health background check, asking about your family's medical history and any areas in your mouth that may be irritating you.
- Oral cancer screening: As many patients often visit only their dentist as a primary physician, we believe that we have an obligation to screen our patients for any signs of oral cancer. It also can sometimes detect signs of other abnormalities throughout one's system. Our Sapphire Plus LD technology provides enhanced visual information so we can better detect and diagnose the presence of cancer or pre-cancer. Then, we can work to identify a treatment plan if needed.
- X-rays: X-rays are critical in helping our team see exactly what's going on in your mouth, often exposing potential cavities and issues within your mouth. X-rays only take a few minutes and are not harmful to your overall health.
- Regular teeth cleaning: Once we've gotten x-rays out of the way, your hygienist is ready to beginning your cleaning. It's here that tartar and plaque will be removed, your teeth will be polished, your gums will be examined, as well as any existing crowns, dentures, implants and/or bridges. You will also receive a brief fluoride treatment that will help shield your teeth from cavities. It will also help to strengthen your teeth.
Often patients ask us questions about teeth cleanings, and we've listed out the top Q&A's for your review:
- How long does a teeth cleaning take? In our office, we aim to be extraordinarily thorough. Cleanings can take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes.
- Is it necessary to have a teeth cleaning every six months? Yes, it is. Not only will your teeth receive a well-deserved deep cleaning, but you will also be checked for cavities and any abnormalities. Pending your dental history, appointments may need to be scheduled more regularly.
- How young can you be to receive a teeth cleaning? Once your child begins showing their baby teeth, it's important to bring them in for a brief check-up. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry even recommends "first visit by first birthday".
- My gums are sore and bleeding after the appointment- why? If you are experiencing mild soreness, that is common. However, bleeding is an indication that you had a build up of bacteria under your gums. While your hygienist cleaned your gums, you need to be cautious moving forward about flossing. Infected gums if not treated can lead to gum disease down the road.
For more information about teeth cleanings Birmingham Alabama, call our office at 205-699-2551. We see patients from all over, including Leeds, Moody, Trussville, Chelsea, Pell City, Springville, Odenville, Sylacauga, Anniston, and beyond. Give us a call today! 205-699-2551.